This CPD is designed to give a brief introduction to facing bricks history, the methods of manufacture and their technical characteristics – giving the specifier the knowledge to select the right bricks for the correct applications. The presentation additionally looks at good site workmanship. By the end of the CPD you should have a greater understanding of:
– The heritage and longevity of clay facing bricks
– How to identify the types of brick by their manufacturing method
– The technical properties of a brick – including sizing, tolerances, range, frost rating, salts and compressive strength
– How to select bricks based on geography and the topography of the site
– The importance of bond pattern and mortar selection
– The importance of good site practice and working with the contractor to achieve the desired finish.